Friday, September 17, 2010

Wadi degla

Last weekend we ventured over to a desert canyon where people like to hike, mountain bike and camp. Many thousands of years ago this place was an ocean, and a forest surrounded by volcanoes. Doesn't look much like that now.








I like this picture of me because I look like a deranged British archeologist. Below is my first headscarf encounter. Today we visited a mosque in old Islamic Cairo with dave's Arabic tutor. I was fine, even looking forward to wearing a headscarf until it actually came time to put it on. Then, something about having to wear it put me in a bad mood. Also I put together a little ensemble and came out to show Dave. He told me I was probably showing too much neck. Something about this really rubbed me the wrong way. I know he didn't make or agree with the rules, but just having him in his t-shirt casually tell me that I couldn't show so much neck made me want to kick him. It seemed like at least he should've said it apologetically. Luckily it only took me most of the afternoon to get over it. What's the deal with our feet, you ask? Two old men at the front of the mosque tie these booties on when you come in. Keeps the street dirt out. Emmett was very confused and kept asking shoes? all the way through the mosque. He didn't have to wear them though.






-



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

Jacob Schiff said...

There is a lot here that is beyond the experience of our crowd.

JS

Anonymous said...

The deranged British archeologist look or the ensemble head scarf look with booties....Don't know which one i like better. But I miss you.

love, Mom

EL said...

This blog gets more and more interesting! I love it!

I think of you guys every time Creston dons a Kirkpatrick hand-me-down, which is pretty much every single day. Even though I never got to see you much when you lived in the US, somehow I miss you more now that you are in Cairo. But I am thankful that I get to read about and see all of your adventures. Keep it up. xo Huck

annie said...

oh no...the headscarf...the little woman being submissive and subordinate...ah, i'm glad i don't have to relive those days....take deep breaths laura when this happens and be grateful that basically you are a woman with equal rights...now the booties, well, that's another whole story!!...hugs, annie

arthur and maggie said...

I like this line:
"Luckily it only took me most of the afternoon to get over it."
Funny stuff there sis!

Anonymous said...

A report from the New York subway tonight reveals that there is a whole lot of neck showing there also cleavage, boobs, arm pit hair and other skins - a humid night here.

Anonymous said...

A Skype visit with the Kirkpatrick boys today revealed a playroom with shiny Byzantine floor tiles and rows of red velvet cushins on the floor and two little American boys playing happily in their own Egypt style surroundings.

KB

annie said...

your blog made me laugh out loud...especially the description of crossing the street...it reminded us of Iran...but my favorite costume - and i know the bumblebee costume already won an award and the hand-made dragon costume was incomparable - but your headscarf and booties were the out of this world! AND made me laugh hysterically...missing you, David and the boys so much...hugs, annie